Breast candidiasis: symptoms and causes
mammary candidiasis also known as " thrush "or breast yeast infection is a common cause of nipple pain. The pain it induces in the mother can compromise breastfeeding because of its intensity.
Breast candidiasis: symptoms
In mom, thrush is sudden pain, itching, and irritation (redness) of the breast tip. The pain can be intense (some moms can't even stand their clothes anymore). Also stitches in the breast, radiating, during feedings (especially at the beginning), but also when the breasts "swell" with pre-milk. The mother may also have vaginal yeast infection.
< / span> Another sign that does not deceive: baby has thrush which appears in the form of white dots and a pink-red mucous membrane in the mouth. How can you be sure it is thrush? Just lightly scratch baby's tongue: if the small white spots disappear, they are food residues. If they remain, it is thrush that it is. A rather particular diaper rash (with white spots there too) will confirm the suspicions.
Breast candidiasis: the causes
Thrush is caused by candida albicans i> , a fungus which normally lives in the digestive tract, and which under certain conditions can grow abnormally. Mothers who themselves have a certain imbalance in their flora can transmit this ground to their child. This type of infection is very common and favored by synthetic tissues (which keep humidity and heat), taking antibiotics, excess sugar in nursing mothers and an unbalanced intestinal flora: all these factors promote development of this mushroom.
Often, thrush originates from vaginal candidiasis treated during pregnancy, and occurs in the breasts one month after childbirth; but one hears of cases where thrush is declared two or three days after childbirth. Nothing definitive: thrush should not be stopped breastfeeding, nor be mistaken for lymphangitis.
Breast candidiasis and breastfeeding: what to do?
- Do not panic, this is not a serious illness but it is advisable to consult a midwife, lactation advisor, as well as a doctor, to optimize continued breastfeeding in case of candidiasis.
- The mother should be treated as soon as possible, following a suitable diet, developed by a natural health practitioner. The sugars (the candida albicans eating it) as well as other food categories ( lactose, gluten …). This diet is certainly restrictive, but you should know that anti-fungals will solve the problem only temporarily. Candidiasis is a real recurrent junk, and a few months of dietary effort will pay off. Promised!
- In addition to a specific diet and the application of creams, the nursing mother must colonize her intestinal flora with good bacteria: take probiotics b> twice a day (respecting a 2 hour interval with an antibiotic taken by mouth if necessary). The breastfed baby will also benefit from probiotics, which will help their thrush and breech yeast infection go away. The nursing mother can also give some probiotics (in powder form) on the fingertip, or on the nipple.
- According to the prescriptions of doctor, we can apply a antifungal cream locally, on the breasts, after having rinsed them with a solution of water + white vinegar + baking soda. The cream will also be applied to the baby's buttocks. But the problem is not initially resolved, the infection will often recur.
- You will also need to rinse the breasts for a fortnight minutes before feeding, so that the nipple is free from traces of the product, which is why a version of the antifungal cream in the form of mouth gel is preferable.
- If the pain is too severe, and only one breast is affected, you can express breast milk on the damaged breast, and continue breastfeeding with the unaffected breast. The milk thus drawn should be consumed very quickly, or thrown away. Do not refrigerate or freeze it, it should be consumed within two / three hours. Milk can be stored for this time without problem, at room temperature, in a moderate climate.
- Prefer to breastfeed for a short time, but often: a breast always heals faster than it it acts of a thrush, a crevice ... if it is used 10 minutes every two hours rather than 30 minutes every three to four hours. Remember to give both breasts and if one breast is really too sore, donate the healthy breast, and express milk from the painful breast)
- A cloth filled with ice cubes will do good to the nipple, before feeding (but no ice cube directly on the skin of course).
- Local pretreatment: before applying a gel or a treatment cream, rinse the breasts with a solution of white vinegar (a tablespoon for a cup of water) or a level teaspoon of baking soda < / b> for a cup of water.
- Provide hygiene to crude when washing bras (apart, not mixed with the rest of the dirty laundry waiting), towels and breast pads (if washable: in lukewarm water then in very hot water). Discard the disposable breast pads at each feeding.
- Rinse her breasts and children's mouths with boiled water (previously cooled!) after feeding.
- Respect good hand hygiene , because thrush is also present on baby's bottom. Always wash your hands well after changing.
- Wash the different parts of the breast pump and the refrigerator in a very hot u.
- span > Monilia Albicans in 9CH helps a lot internally in addition to the breast pain while breastfeeding.
Treat baby for breast yeast infection
- Consult a doctor for oral antifungal medication (and apply it to the nipples after feedings). The practitioner will undoubtedly suggest another antifungal to apply to the baby's buttocks, because thrush will pass from his mouth to his buttocks, from his buttocks to his mouth (it's the same channel!).
- If the baby or his mother (if she is breastfeeding) has just taken an antibiotic, it is essential to colonize their intestinal flora with good bacteria: take probiotics twice a day (with a spacing of 2 hours with a dose of antibiotic by mouth if necessary).
- If the yeast infection appears and the antibiotic has not been taken, still give baby probiotics for infants.
- The processing of a seat yeast infection is longer than that of a diaper rash simple. The ideal is to take care of it right from the start. Mushrooms like humid environments, away from light. So we remove the diapers, we expose the baby to natural light in the house, while making sure that he does not get cold.
- Sterilize any physiological pacifiers (pacifiers). span>
- Put in very hot water (or in a dishwasher) or sterilize the rattles and other toys worn in the mouth by the child, the pipettes of vitamin D or fruit juice if the baby takes them. Wash your hands thoroughly after changing your child.
- Hunt the whole family and the environment: change all the family's toothbrushes, change the pacifiers (even if scalded) and also track pets
The shopping list for mammary candidiasis
- Disposable breast pads ECO by Naty : Intended to absorb excess milk after each feeding, to spare the bra. They are large enough to be effective, but remain discreet. To be placed in the bra after each feeding or more in the event of greater milk flow.
- Probiotics 10M Pediakid Pediakid : one food supplement with lactic ferments, chicory inulin fibers and bioavailable zinc which rebalances the intestinal flora.
- Organic Calendula Maceration Oil 100 ml Ladrôme span> : this vegetable oil is ideal for ideal for softening and relieving dry skin or irritated by the sun, light burns, insect bites, itching…
- Easy Manual Milk Pump b > NUK : It allows you to extract breast milk in all serenity and thus continue breastfeeding while returning to work. Relieves the inconveniences that may occur during your breastfeeding such as breast engorgement and stimulates milk production.